Porthole Cruise News Briefs | Mar. 27, 2015
Porthole Cruise News Briefs
Mar. 27, 2015
- Royal Caribbean International says it is sending its third Quantum-class ship, Ovation of the Seas, to China, strengthening its commitment to the Asia market. The ship debuts in China in April 2016.
- Norwegian Cruise Line’s Norwegian Star, fresh from a two-week dry dock, is heading to the Baltics and Norway this summer with several new features that include the line’s first Five O’Clock Somewhere Bar, a result of the line’s new partnership with Jimmy Buffett’s Margaritaville. The new watering hole serves signature margaritas and “boat drinks” as well as LandShark Lager, and features live music nightly.
- Disney Cruise Line will sail its first British Isles itinerary in 2016 when Disney Magic embarks on a 12-day cruise to Scotland, England, Ireland, and France. The ship will also return to Norway (inspiration for the movie Frozen) and Iceland next year.
- After-dinner dancing is coming to Seabourn’s dining rooms. On select nights, tables get moved, lights dim, there’s live music, and guests can trip the light fantastic. John Delaney, Seabourn’s senior vice president of marketing and sales, tells Porthole the line tested the concept on Seabourn Odyssey and it was a big hit
- Carnival Corp. placed a mega-order for nine new ships to be built from 2019 to 2022. The ships will debut a “groundbreaking” new design and be the most energy efficient in the company’s history, officials say. “They are expected to serve established cruise markets in North America and Europe, as well as newer markets, including China.”
Italy’s Fincantieri will build five of the next-generation vessels at shipyards in Monfalcone and Marghera, while Germany’s Meyer Werft will build four in Papenburg and Turku, Finland. To be revealed at a later date is which of the nine Carnival Corp. brands will get the ships.
— Fran Golden
Photos: Royal Caribbean International
[spb_column width=”1/2″ el_position=”first”] [impact_text include_button=”yes” button_style=”standard” title=”< Previous: Cruise Deal” href=”http://www.porthole.com/cruise-deal-of-the-week-mar-27-2015″ color=”accent” target=”_self” position=”cta_align_bottom” alt_background=”alt-two” width=”1/1″ el_position=”first last”] [/impact_text] [/spb_column] [spb_column width=”1/2″ el_position=”last”] [impact_text include_button=”yes” button_style=”standard” title=”Read More Porthole >” href=”http://www.porthole.com/stores/” color=”accent” target=”_self” position=”cta_align_bottom” alt_background=”alt-two” width=”1/1″ el_position=”first last”]