Porthole Cruise News Briefs – Feb. 5 2016
- Princess Cruises has announced that Captain Dino Sagani will serve as master of Majestic Princess (盛世公主号), the new ship homeported in Shanghai. A veteran of the Italian navy, Sagani has served for over 21 years aboard Princess vessels, including as relief captain on Royal Princess and Regal Princess.
- In May 2016, guests aboard the ultra-luxury ship Europa 2 will be able to set their own course, voting on visits to 20 destinations in the Mediterranean. The 10-day “Surprise Cruise” will also feature the first Artistika international circus arts festival at sea and acoustic performances by jazz and pop singer Roger Cicero.
- Costa Cruises has appointed renowned hospitality designer Adam D. Tihany as creative director for their two new ships, the first in the industry powered by liquified natural gas (LNG). The groundbreaking ships will take layout cues from suggestions by Costa guests, with Tihany ensuring maximum efficiency in interior spaces along with his signature sophisticated and innovative style.
- Holland America Line, in honor of World Cancer Day on February 4, announced that guests and employees have raised $4.7 million for six international cancer organizations through “On Deck for a Cause” programs. “Cancer is a disease that touches too many lives around the world,” says Orlando Ashford, president of Holland America Line. “Through On Deck we will continue to help find a cure.”
- Luxury river line Pandaw Cruises is launching a new ship, Yunnan Pandaw, in September 2016, sailing on the Upper Mekong from Vientiane, Laos, to Jinghong, China. The ship, with 14 staterooms, brings the number of ships in the fleet to 16.
Photo: Princess Cruises
Sign up for weekly cruise news, fun contests, and exclusive offers delivered right to your inbox!
Let us know your comments!