Porthole Cruise News Briefs – Dec. 4, 2015
- As part of the refit of Queen Mary 2, Cunard Line has announced a major redesign of Kings Court, the informal buffet.
During the ocean liner’s drydock from May 27 to June 21, 2016, Kings Court will be rebuilt as a more open space. To go along with the design, Kings Court will also have new menus, pre-set tables, waiter-served drinks; will serve as a venue for cooking demonstrations led by Cunard chefs; and will feature a Chef’s Table tasting menu on select evenings.
- Kathy Griffin – winner of two Emmys, a Grammy and holder of a Guinness World Record – is bringing her hard-hitting comedy to Carnival Cruise Line as part of the Carnival LIVE lineup for February 2016. She’s scheduled to appear in the main theaters aboard Carnival Fantasy February 24 and Carnival Breeze February 25 while the ships are docked in Cozumel. Tickets are $50 for general admission, and $200 for VIPs, which include seating in the first four rows, a photo opportunity with Griffin and a commemorative concert pass. The line recently announced its Carnival LIVE initial concert series lineup for 2016.
- Royal Caribbean International has announced a makeover for the 90,090 grt Jewel of the Seas in time for the summer 2016 Mediterranean season. Additions to the ship, which already features nearly 3 acres of exterior glass, include a two-bedroom family suite and 24 new outside and balcony cabins. Popular dining venues Giovanni’s Table, Vintages, and Izumi are coming aboard, along with a new poolside movie screen and VOOM Internet service. Jewel of the Seas is scheduled to arrive in Rome in April 2016.
- Oceania Cruises has announced that that Claudine Pépin, daughter of acclaimed chef Jacques Pépin, will serve as godmother for Sirena at a christening ceremony in Barcelona on April 27, 2016. Her father has been Oceania Cruises’ executive culinary director since the line’s inception, and she has cohosted special culinary events and cooking demonstrations on Oceania Cruises’ annual Jacques Pépin Cruise. “Claudine’s passion for food, wine, travel, and deep family traditions make her the perfect choice for Sirena’s godmother,” said Jason Montague, president and COO for Oceania Cruises. “If the culinary world had a royal family, it would be the Pépin family.” During the maiden voyage, Claudine will host cooking demonstrations and book-signing events throughout the cruise. All guests on board will receive a complimentary copy of Claudine’s cookbook, Let’s Cook French.
- Off-the-beaten-path specialist Un-Cruise Adventures is bringing its experience on shore in 2016 with two new land tours: an escorted trip through Denali National Park and the Knik River, and a pre- or post-cruise rail journey aboard the Rocky Mountaineer between Seattle and Vancouver. The Denali National Park & Knik River Adventure travels from Fairbanks in an exclusive rail car to Denali, and then onward via first-class deluxe dome rail car to the historic gold mining town of Talkeetna. The Rocky Mountaineer extension to a Columbia & Snake River cruise includes first-class GoldLeaf rail service through the glaciers and snowy peaks of the Canadian Rockies and the lush, coastal forests. Says Captain Dan Blanchard, CEO: “We are offering land tours that match our unrushed, uncrowded, unbelievable concept delivered by our ships to ensure our spirit of adventure extends through all we do.”
Photos: Cunard Line, Oceania Cruises
[spb_column width=”1/2″ el_position=”first”] [impact_text include_button=”yes” button_style=”standard” title=”< Previous: Cruise Deal 2″ href=”http://www.porthole.com/cruise-deal-of-the-week-dec-4-2015-2/” color=”accent” target=”_self” position=”cta_align_bottom” alt_background=”alt-two” width=”1/1″ el_position=”first last”] [/impact_text] [/spb_column] [spb_column width=”1/2″ el_position=”last”] [impact_text include_button=”yes” button_style=”standard” title=”Read More Porthole>” href=”http://www.porthole.com/stores/” color=”accent” target=”_self” position=”cta_align_bottom” alt_background=”alt-two” width=”1/1″ el_position=”first last”]