Porthole Cruise News Briefs
Apr. 10, 2015
- Princess Cruises will return to Japan again next year with Diamond Princess on 4- to 20-day sailings embarking from Tokyo and Kobe. There will be calls at top-rated ports around Japan and two new port calls in 2016 on the island of Kyushu, as well as visits to Korea, Taiwan, and Russia. New “Land and Sea Vacation” packages explore Kyoto and Tokyo. The season is April to October.
- Tauck said it will debut two new Inspiration-class river ships and a new 10-day “The Rhine, Swiss Alps & Amsterdam” itinerary next year. Due to the favorable foreign exchange gains made by the U.S. dollar, the company is dropping rates as much as $1,200 per couple lower in 2016 than in 2015 – and yes, they’re passing along savings to customers.
- Royal Caribbean International announced the addition of a giant sculpture of a giraffe, wearing a yellow swimsuit and pink inner tube, to the soon-to-debut Anthem of the Seas. You’ll recall sister ship Quantum of the Seas has a big magenta bear up on top.
- Avalon Waterways launched its 10th Suite Ship, Avalon Tranquility II, in Strasbourg, France, with Canadian singer and broadcaster Jann Arden serving as godmother. Moet & Chandon was smashed across the ship’s bow.
- CroisiEurope launched the first paddlewheeler to cruise the Loire River, MS Loire Princesse, in a ceremony in Nantes, France. The European river line also this month debuted the new MS Camargue on the Rhône River and MS Gil Eanes on Portugal’s Douro River.
- In September 2015, Celebrity Infinity will serve as the first “floating hotel” ship charter for the Port of San Francisco, in connection with the annual Salesforce convention from September 13 to 18. San Francisco forecasts 82 cruise calls and 300,000 passengers in 2015. Seventy calls are planned at Pier 27, and 12 at Pier 35.
— Fran Golden
Photo: Princess Cruises
[spb_column width=”1/2″ el_position=”first”] [impact_text include_button=”yes” button_style=”standard” title=”< Previous: Cruise Deal” href=”http://www.porthole.com/cruise-deal-of-the-week-apr-10-2015″ color=”accent” target=”_self” position=”cta_align_bottom” alt_background=”alt-two” width=”1/1″ el_position=”first last”] [/impact_text] [/spb_column] [spb_column width=”1/2″ el_position=”last”] [impact_text include_button=”yes” button_style=”standard” title=”Read More Porthole >” href=”http://www.porthole.com/stores/” color=”accent” target=”_self” position=”cta_align_bottom” alt_background=”alt-two” width=”1/1″ el_position=”first last”]