- Holland America Line has added Seattle-based master chef Ethan Stowell to its award-winning Culinary Council, working with five other world-renowned chefs to enhance menus and bring a deeper understanding of regional cuisines to your plate. Stowell, a specialist in flavors of Alaska and the Pacific Northwest, joins Chairman Rudi Sodamin and international chefs Jonnie Boer, David Burke, Elizabeth Falkner, and Jacques Torres. All ships of the fleet will now feature menu items from Stowell.
- Norwegian Cruise Line has revealed its itineraries for fall and winter 2019, with brand-new ships sailing to brand-new ports. The highlight: Norwegian Bliss sailing to the Bahamas from New York, then heading to the Southern Caribbean. Other voyages include Norwegian Breakaway touring the Caribbean from Port Canaveral, Norwegian Getaway cruising the Western Caribbean from New Orleans, and Norwegian Epic becoming the newest ship to cruise out of San Juan.
- Carnival Victory is undergoing a multimillion-dollar dry dock in Freeport, Bahamas, that will see new accommodations and popular venues like Guy’s Burger Joint, Bonsai Sushi Express, RedFrog Rum Bar, BlueIguana Tequila Bar, Re-Branded Deli, and the “sweetest spot on board,” Cherry on Top.
- Ultra-luxury line Seabourn’s upcoming vessel, Seabourn Ovation, will set sail with a world-class art collection on board. A team from ArtLink curated over 1,600 works of art from nearly 120 artists sourced from five continents. The collection will include a polished and hammered Murano glass sculpture by Luciano Vistosi named Warrior the Second, a porcelain wall sculpture by Valeria Nascimento called Black Coral meant to highlight the fragility of natural forms, and a mixed-media piece by Jose Romussi that features black-and-white photo of a woman hand-embroidered with lushly colored wild flowers.
- Stay tuned for some major cruise buzz, as Seatrade Cruise Global will be taking place March 5-8, 2018, at the Fort Lauderdale/Broward County Convention Center. This annual convention and trade show brings together thousands from the cruise industry to talk about trends, growth, and hot topics; learn about what’s on the horizon for cruisers; and to network, connect, and party.
Photo: Holland America Line