Harmony of the Seas, the Newest “World’s Largest Cruise Ship,” Is Delivered | Cruise News – May 12, 2016
Harmony of the Seas, the Newest “World’s Largest Cruise Ship,” Is Delivered
Cruise News – May 12, 2016
Royal Caribbean International today honored the crew and project team of the new Harmony of the Seas at a traditional delivery and flag-changing ceremony in Saint Nazaire, France. Following 32 months of construction at the STX France shipyard involving thousands of shipyard employees, sub-contractors, and suppliers, the world’s largest cruise ship is now home to 2,100 crewmembers from 77 different nationalities.
Joining the celebration in the ship’s AquaTheater were Richard Fain, Chairman and CEO of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.; Michael Bayley, President and CEO of Royal Caribbean International; and Laurent Castaing, General Manager, STX France.
“Harmony is truly magnificent in every sense of the word, from her architecture and design to the level of care and attention to detail with which our incredible crew are taking to prepare for our first guests,” said Michael Bayley. “The ship is the ‘best of the best’ of what our guests love most about Royal Caribbean, combined with new and thrilling experiences never before found in one place. But it is the passion and dedication of our crew that will make everlasting memories for our guests.”
Costing more than a $1 billion, the 5,400-guest (at double occupancy) Harmony of the Seas will be the 25th ship in the Royal Caribbean fleet and boasts several first-at-sea experiences, including:
- A 100-foot drop with The Ultimate Abyss, the tallest slide at sea, plunging riders 10 stories down from Deck 16 to the Boardwalk on Deck 6
- 23 swimming pools, whirlpools, two FlowRider surf simulators, and waterslides, including the Perfect Storm, a thrilling trio of waterslides, and the Splashaway Bay waterpark for young guests
- The first double-story Wonderland, the specialty restaurant concept that first introduced aboard Royal Caribbean’s Quantum class of ships
- The debut of Broadway’s hit musical Grease in the Royal Theater and spectacular diving shows in the AquaTheater
- 11,252 works of art showcased throughout the ship and Central Park, a living park in the center of the ship that features 10,587 plants, 48 vine plants, and 52 trees, some over 20 feet high
- VOOM, the fastest Internet at sea, available exclusively to Royal Caribbean guests
Harmony of the Seas will homeport in Barcelona, Spain, this summer to sail 7-night Western Mediterranean sailings, before repositioning to Fort Lauderdale in November 2016 to offer 7-night Eastern and Western Caribbean sailings.
Photo: Royal Caribbean International
Sign up for weekly cruise news, fun contests, and exclusive offers delivered right to your inbox!